Preparation Time: 5 Min | Cooking Time: 25 Min | Served within: 30 Min | Servings: 4
The Cold Ratatouille is a traditional French cuisine recipe. It’s an excellent low fat Vegetable dish. The ratatouille, or vegetable stew, originated as a peasant dish, in the south of France. It features those vegetables that are found in every potager during the middle of the summer: zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, eggplants as well as all the herbs you can find growing alongside: parsley, thyme, laurel. Ratatouille has now become one of the trademark dishes of the French cuisine. Whenever I cook this delicious cold ratatouille recipe I imagine myself in a French country house, during a hot summer afternoon, walking through the vegetable garden and picking all the fresh ingredients need for a refreshing evening ratatouille.
Cold Ratatouille Recipe – Ingredients
– 2 zucchini
– 1 capsicum
– 1 green pepper
– 1 eggplant
– 1 white onion
– 2 tomatoes
– 2 garlic cloves
– olive oil
– thyme, rosemary and laurel
– balsamic vinegar
Cold Ratatouille Recipe – Method
1. Wash the zucchini and the eggplant. Do not peel them!
2. Quarter the zucchini lengthwise, into 1/2″ (1.2 cm) thick slices.
3. Cut the eggplant lengthwise and quarter it. Finally cut crosswise to obtain 1/2″ (1.2 cm) thick slices.
4. Bake the capsicum and the green pepper. Pour cold water on them and remove the black peel.
5. Remove the core and the seeds from the bell peppers and cut them lengthwise into 1/4″ (0.6 cm) thick strips.
6. Peel the white onion and chop it into fine slices.
7. Pre-heat a special low fat cooking pot until its thermocontroller displays ideal boiling temperature.
8. Add olive oil garlic and onion and let them sauté.
9. Next, add the zucchini and eggplant slices.
10. Peppers should be sautéd in a similar way using a secondary low fat cooking pot. Allow them to drain after sauting.
11. In the mean time chop the tomato into round slices.
12. Place the peppers in the main low fat cooking pot together with the rest of the vegetables. Add the tomato circles. Salt and pepper. Finally add thyme, rosemary and laurel, stop the heat and let the vegetables boil until they are completely cooked.
13. Give your dish enough time to cool down.
14. Sprinkle the Cold Ratatouille with balsamic vinegar and enjoy it!
Cold Ratatouille Recipe – Tips
– You can add some minced parsley leaves to this dish, served in a pot alongside the ratatouille.
– For optimal taste you can also place the balsamic vinegar in a small pitcher and serve it with the meal. It will allow everyone to vinegar according to their own taste.
– Accompany this ratatouille dish with a tasty white wine.
– This vegetable stew can be also served warm.
– To simplify this ratatouille recipe you can saute the vegetables all together, in the same pot, however that will also sacrifice the taste.