We’ve all had our fun on a Nintendo Wii, or tried to monitor our weight with a Wii Fit but the Wii was never really any sort of competition for serious gamers as the likes of the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. Now that Microsoft have launched their Kinect device it is time to lose weight with Kinect! This sensor and it’s incredible motion detection feature offers you the chance of practicing your favorite sport or performing any fitness workout in the privacy of your living room!
Kinect weight loss is so attractive because the software, and some of the games (see below), are actually set up and designed to help you lose weight while playing. The games will help you measure your progress by telling you how many calories you’ve burned. Even better, the Xbox Kinect sensor doesn’t require any controller. The players motion is fully read by the sensor. This way you can fully concentrate on playing without needing to hold anything; it’s 100% interaction!
If you’re one of these people that like to complete games then a lot of the Kinect games require you to be fit to win achievements and complete the game – you’ll be altering your lifestyle to try and win and losing weight whilst you do it! There are some truly motivational weight loss stories, such as one man who set out to lose 3 stone with his Kinect. He achieved this in just 2 months and is still going! We have tested all Kinect games that imply important physical activity and set the following top 5 Xbox 360 Kinect games that aid weight loss!
Top 5 Kinect Games for Weight Loss
1. The consistent number one from almost anyone you ask is ‘Your Shape: Evolved’. Whilst this isn’t as fun as the other games we’re going to feature it is the best for weight loss. This Kinect fitness game sees you following a traditional sort of workout and helps ensure you do the exercises correctly by showing your silhouette on screen next to the ‘professional’ character. It will also help you monitor your progress in terms of calories burnt. More, your body is fully scanned at the start of the game and you will find out numerous interesting information such height, arm length, shoulder width and so on. You need to introduce your weight though, and it’s really important to be honest in order to achieve the best results!
2. ‘UFC Personal Trainer’ is a close second for Kinect weight loss results. Whilst this game doesn’t have the graphics or general aesthetics of the normal games that don’t require the sensor, it makes up for this by being such a good workout. Rather than ease you into the workout, it pushes you to your maximum every time to ensure you get top cardio performance.
3. ‘The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout’ is based on the international TV show, The Biggest Loser, where contestants have to try and lose the most weight in order to win the top cash prize. This Kinect fitness game sees you pitted against contestants on the show as you try to lose more weight than them. The idea that you’re competing against real people’s weight loss progress is motivational.
4. At number four we have a game that is the most fun out of the five listed here, and still gives you a great cardio workout – ‘Kinect Sports’. We recommend you use this game with the Calorie Challenge add-on which helps you track your progress in terms of calories burnt. As you progress through the sports challenges on this Kinect weight loss game you’ll find the game harder and harder to beat, requiring you to be fitter and fitter for every level – a good Kinect weight loss incentive!
5. Finally, number five is a favourite for young and old; ‘Dance Central’ for Kinect. Unlike similar dance games for the Wii, you’ll actually learn real dance moves and can’t trick the console by pretending to move around your controller. There are plenty of tracks on the disc and hundreds more to download so you won’t run out any time soon. Each workout is about 5 minutes long so we recommend 6-7 workouts per session.
Xbox 360 and its Kinect sensor provides one more great feature. You can also play each game either in multiplayer mode or online. This way you will find your extra weight loss motivation from competing in real time against your friends or relatives. Game consoles with motion detection are the ultimate gadgets that technology provides to aid weight loss. They can prove to be very handy during winter time or any time when you want to squeeze a fast workout without willing to leave your living room.
To be successful with Kinect weight loss games you need to choose one that you’re going to enjoy playing. If you’re into sports then ‘Kinect Sports’ is for you, or if you prefer dancing it has to be ‘Dance Central’, or even ‘Kinect Zumba Fitness’ (which was rated just outside of our Top 5). If you enjoy going to the gym then how about ‘UFC Personal Trainer’? You need to choose something that you know you’re going to really work at to try and beat. The best results are experienced when you choose at least 2 of the 5 weight loss games listed above. This way you can vary your workouts and the pounds will melt down faster. Good luck!