Tofu is a cheese-like food that provides countless nutritional benefits. It comes from Asia and it’s also called, soya curd. Soft tofu is obtained by curdling soya milk with a coagulant. It is a perfect ingredient for a healthy smoothie. It aids obese people aiming for weight loss, as it has great cholesterol balancing properties. It lowers the level of ‘bad’ cholesterol (LDL), while maintaining the level of ‘good’ cholesterol (HDL).
Soft tofu is very easy to digest, kick-starting your metabolism. It is rich in protein and vitamin B, properties which make tofu a great replacement for meat in a vegetarian or protein diet. Other positive nutrients provided by tofu are: calcium (high levels which prevent osteoporosis), selenium and other minerals and antioxidants, as well as Omega-3 fats. Tofu can be used in various smoothie recipes as it mixes with the other ingredients and doesn’t modify the taste of the beverage. This way you can obtain a great taste with excellent health benefits.
Soy Tofu Smoothie – Ingredients
– 1 soy yogurt
– 1 cup of soy milk
– 300 gr of soft tofu
– 2 bananas (frozen if possible)
– 10 medium sized strawberries
Soy Tofu Smoothie – Method
1. Peel carefully the frozen bananas and cut them into pieces.
2. Add all the ingredients in a blender in the above provided order, excepting half of the available banana pieces and strawberries. Blend for a few seconds until everything gets mixed up.
3. Add the remaining banana and strawberries and mix until you obtain the desired consistency.
4. Pour the content in two tall glasses. You can garnish with extra strawberry slices for improved elegance.
5. Serve this beverage fresh! Enjoy!
Soy Tofu Smoothie – Tips
– Fresh tofu is usually packaged in water. You should refrigerate it until you use it. Also, keep it in water until you prepare it. Don’t freeze it, as freezing will change its texture and you’ll need soft tofu for this recipe.
– This drink should have a strawberry taste, as tofu does not modify the taste of the smoothie. Tofu usually has a slightly noticeable taste.
– For optimal consistence and taste you should use frozen bananas. Place them into a fridge at least half a day before you plan to prepare the smoothie.
– As a matter of fact, tofu is also part of Lady Gaga’s diet.