Vegetable addicts will love today’s low fat appetizer. Vegetables a la Grecque is a popular yet very healthy meal. There are numerous recipes and cooking options, however I choose to share the one I’m using, which is low fat, delicious and healthy, of course. This meal requires a total serving time of 45 minutes and it’s suitable for 4 portions.
First, let’s check some of the numerous vegetable health benefits. Veggies together with fruits are the healthiest foods which nature can provide. They contain a variety of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, which should not miss from your diet. It’s recommended to eat vegetables daily, as they boost the immune system and maintain health. Vegetables aid people suffering from chronic disease and help prevent numerous other illnesses like: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, kidney problems, some cancers and bone loss. Veggies also help in weight control, while some of them even aid weight loss, due to the low calorie levels (carrots, mushrooms)!
Vegetables a la Grecque Ingredients
– 4 small carrots
– 4 baby turnips
– 8 pieces of frozen onions
– 4 flap mushrooms
– 2 zucchini
– 1 dill bundle
– 4 small artichokes
– 4 garlic cloves
– 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
– 7 tablespoons of white vine
– 3 cups of chicken soup
– 15 coriander seeds
– 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
– olive oil
– salt and ground white pepper
– fine salt and Guerande salt crystals
Vegetables a la Grecque Recipe
1. Wash and clean the carotts, the tunips and the flap mushrooms.
2. Clean and chop the zucchini. Cut off the first part of the dill bundle and slice it in about 8 pieces.
3. Cut off artichoke stems level together with its base. Now, cut off the top, about 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) of the artichoke. Repeat this procedure for all artichokes.
4. Place the artichokes into a bowl of water and clean them carefully.
5. Pour a tablespoon of white vine and some olive oil on each artichoke globe.
6. In the meantime pre-heat a special low fat cooking pot until the thermocontroller shows optimal boiling temperature.
7. Now reduce the heat to minimum add a little olive oil and the artichokes.
8. After a couple of minutes add the rest of vegetables, together with the garlic cloves and let them steam.
9. Salt and pepper and add the remaining tablespoons of white vine. Let them boil until the liquid level drops at 2/3 of its original content.
10. Add the white wine vinegar and splash with the available chicken soup. Next add the coriander seeds. Let the mixture boil until the vegetables are tender and the artichoke leaves can be pulled out easily.
11. In the mean time prepare the cilantro.
12. Serve the meal in deep plates splashed with the juice obtained from the low fat cooking pot and with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and with grounded pepper.
Vegetables a la Grecque Tips
– You can serve the above prepared meal warm or cold, according to your own preferences and taste.
– Other vegetables can be also included in the Vegetables a la Grecque recipe. Tomatoes or broccoli can be added to replace vegetables missing from the above ingredients list.
– If you love vegetables you can always add the homemade vegetable soup to your diet.